Testing for Firefighter / AEMT positions in Birmingham is handled through EMPCO, Inc., which provides a statewide recruiting and hiring consortium serving public safety agencies.
EMPCO has partnered with several fire departments in Michigan to develop a system to assist candidates for entry level positions as Firefighter/AEMT’s. Participating fire departments ask you to take an entry-level examination, generally referred to as pre-employment tests, at a nearby test site as the first step in this process. Your test score, name, address, email address and a brief profile that you complete will be available to every participating fire department in the state that you select.
Additional information about this system and list of fire departments participating in the system can be found on the EMPCO website.
To be eligible for hire by the Birmingham Fire Department, external candidates must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Take and pass the EMPCO pre-employment exam;
- Possession of high school diploma or equivalent;
- State of Michigan Firefighter II Certification;
- State of Michigan AEMT or National Registry AEMT certification at time of hire;
- Vision correctable to 20/20 in both eyes;
- Valid Mich. Operator’s License w/ good driving record;
- No record of criminal conviction;
- Physical condition appropriate for the position;
- Applicants must pass the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) offered through the Conference of Western Wayne (CWW) Firefighter Testing Program. CPAT results are valid for one (1) year.
For additional information, please contact: