Updated: Sep 9, 2021
Print this page
The Foundation for Birmingham Senior Residents provided funds to purchase residential Knox Boxes for seniors who qualify, at no cost to the homeowner. The residential Knox Box is a small safe that contains the home owner’s residential entry key. The key is secured inside the Knox Box which can only be opened by a key cut specifically for the Birmingham Fire Department. The specially cut key is also secured in a Knox Box on Birmingham Fire Department engines. To access the key, the officer must put a code in that is specific to him/her for security measures. The Knox Box secures on an entry/exit door by a metal hanger that hangs on top of the door and is secured with two small screws on top of the door. Members of the Birmingham Fire Department will secure and remove the Knox Box from the residence.
In order to qualify for this program, applicants must meet the following guidelines:
- Applicants must be residents of the City of Birmingham, Michigan.
- Applicants must be 50 years of age or older at the time of the request.
- Applicants must be in need of these services for a period that is deemed to be one year or less (recovering from surgery or medical condition that will improve mobility over time). If the need extends beyond one year, there will be an opportunity to request an extension.
- Applicants must fill out BFD Knox Box Loaner Form provided by the Birmingham Fire Department located at 572 S. Adams Rd. Birmingham, MI48009 (Ph. 248- 530-1923).
- Applicants must fill out in full a Waiver and Release form.
Qualifying residents may download and submit a Knox Box Loaner Program Application and Knox Box Waiver and Release Form. For those who qualify, a Knox Box will be provided on a temporary basis, free of charge. This program is administered on a first-come, first-serve basis. If no loaner box is available, applicants may add their name to a waiting list at the Birmingham Fire Department. Residents can always purchase their own residential Knox Box by applying on-line at www.knoxbox.com or by filling out an application for purchase also provided by the Birmingham Fire Department.