Updated: Sep 9, 2021
Print this page
EMPCO has partnered with several police departments in Michigan to develop a system to assist candidates for entry level positions as police officers. Participating police departments ask you to take an entry-level examination, generally referred to as pre-employment tests, at a nearby test site as the first step in this process. Your test score, name, address, email address and a brief profile that you complete will be available to every participating police department in the state that you select. Therefore, with one process, you can automatically apply to numerous police departments.
Additional information about this system and list of police departments participating in the system can be found on the EMPCO website.
To be eligible for hire by the Birmingham Police Department, external candidates must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Take and pass the EMPCO pre-employment exam.
- Possession of an Associate Degree in Police Administration, Law Enforcement, or Police Service; or a B.A. or B.S. in any course of study from a recognized college or university.
- Successful completion of the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards pre-employment written and physical skills test with current valid results.
- Physical condition appropriate for the position with vision correctable to 20/20 in both eyes.
- Residency within the State of Michigan.
- Possession of a valid Michigan Operator's license with a good driving record.
- No record of criminal conviction.
For additional information, please contact:
1740 W. Big Beaver Rd. Suite 200
Troy, MI 48084