Property assessments mailed in February provide information about the changes in value of your property for 2021. Residents will have the ability to appeal to the Board of Review. The Board of Review will continue to be held in March in accordance with State law for any appeals. To make an appointment contact Oakland County Equalization at 248.975.9611.
The Market Comparison Analysis is a spreadsheet that is a tool which was prepared by Assessor staff in 2007, at the suggestion of the Board of Review to assist in gathering information for an effective appeal. Supportive evidence must also be included with any appeal, for consideration.
Frequently Asked Questions
Affidavit to Claim Small Business Tax Exemption Under MCL 211.9o is the new form. This affidavit will exempt property owned only by the entity filing the affidavit. The owner may file the affidavit and claim the exemption only if the True Cash Value of all of the commercial or industrial personal property located within the city or township that is owned by, leased to, or in the possession of the owner or a related entity was less than $80,000 on December 31st.
- On-site reviews and inventory of all types of real and personal property located within the city limits for the assessment roll.
- Attends the March, July and December Boards of Review in order to maintain the minutes of the meetings, and to aid/assist these Boards with information requests related to the hearings.
- Canvasses all properties at the end of the year and identify and assess taxable personal property.
- Represents the City of Birmingham at the Michigan Tax Tribunal and State Tax Commission.
- Prepares equalization studies annually reflecting market changes to comply with the level of assessment required by law.
Public Act 114 of 2012 changed the annual filing date and established two deadlines by which a Principal Residence Exemption (PRE) may be filed: June 1st for the summer tax levy and November 1st for the winter tax levy.