-- documents Feed--
-- All of Bhamgov Feed --

Water & Sewer Billing

Updated: Dec 18, 2023
Print this page
Text resize increase font size decrease font size
The City of Birmingham provides water & sewer service for properties located in the city. Bills are mailed out quarterly, and are due 30 days after billing. If bills are not paid by the due date, a penalty of 1% per month will be added. Failure to receive a bill does not excuse late payment charges.
Water & sewer bills are a lien against the property immediately upon either the distribution of water or the provision of sewage system service to the premises or property supplied.

Water & sewer bills may be paid in personby mail, or via online payment.

For more details on understanding your water bill, go to: 2022-23 Water & Sewer FAQ and Rates.

Moving from a property in Birmingham

Please contact Water Billing at 248.530.1830 to schedule your final bill.  We are able to email, fax or mail your final bill.  Most of the properties in Birmingham have a meter that we are able to get read from electronically.  However, if we are not able to get an electronic read, we will need to schedule an appointment with you to read the inside meter.

We require a 24 hour notice on all final bills.  The fee for same day billing is $150.00.

Moving into a property in Birmingham

Please call 248.530.1830 to make sure a final reading has been done by the previous owner/tenant.


Meter charges for most residences are based on the size of the meter in the home; $5.00 for a 5/8 inch meter and $8.00 for a 1 inch meter. Additional information is available for the new 2020-2021 rates effective July 1, 2020.

Service Fees

To have a service technician come to your home to turn service on or off, remove a meter, reset a meter, or for any emergency services, there is a fee of $80 per visit .  For any service after 3:15 PM there are additional fees.  For more information on the fees please contact 248.530.1830.


After Hours Emergency Service 248.530.1870
Meter Shop 248.530.1723
Streets-Sewer & Water Service 248.530.1700
Water & Sewer Billing 248.530.1830
Water & Sewer Billing e-mail address water@bhamgov.org

The Cost of a Leak

It concerns us in the Water Department, that very few people seem to realize that faulty plumbing can be so expensive. It is our hope that this communication will lead to a better understanding and possibly save you needless expense.

Should you discover a leak in your water system, turn the job over to the family “Handy Man” or call a plumber – but whatever you do, see that it is fixed. The City’s Department of Public Services has prepared a self-diagnostic guide to help homeowners determine whether they have a leak. 

Some leaks can be seen (Leaky Faucets, etc.). Frequently costly leaks cannot be seen or heard. (Toilet flush tanks, water-cooled air conditioners, etc.)
For example: A continuous leak caused by water leaking through the flush tank overflow may waste as much as 146,000 gallons during a 3 month period and would add $1,616.22 extra to your water and sewage bill.

Check flush tank of toilet by placing laundry bluing in tank and watching bowl to see if it leaks through.

Use your water meter to check for possible invisible leaks. Turn off all water taps inside and outside of the house and watch the ten gallon indicator to see if it moves. By timing the movement you can determine how many gallons are being wasted per minute/per hour - 1 gallon in 10 minutes equals 13,000 gallons in 3 months. (1 unit = 1000 gallons)

*Based on July 2010 City of Birmingham combined rate for water and sewage

High Water Bill?

If your water bill is higher than your usual bill for this time of year, please contact us at 248.530.1830 - We will contact the meter superintendent with your address, phone number, and a history of your account. The meter superintendent will review the information and will contact you. If necessary, he will set up an appointment to meet you at your home.

Payment Information

The City of Birmingham Treasurer's Office offers several options to pay your water bill.

  • Mail - A return envelope is enclosed with your bill.
  • In person - At the Treasurer's Office at 151 Martin using cash, credit card, check or a money order.
  • Auto Pay - Have your water bill payment automatically paid from your checking account or credit card. There is no fee for using your bank account. Auto pay from a credit card will have a convenience fee added. If you would like to sign up for auto pay, please visit https://www.invoicecloud.com/CityofBirminghamMI. Click on utility and look up your water account.
  • Online or by phone.

Utility Bill Assistance
Water Residential Assistance Program (WRAP)

The City of Birmingham participates in the WRAP program, which was set up by the Great Lakes Water Authority to help eligible, low-income customers to pay their water and sewer bills. View the flyer and information below. 

  • Bill Credits - The recently launched WRAP Income Based Plan (IBP) provides bill credits that are unique to each household and are based on annual household income and annual water and sewer bill amount. Households are expected to pay the remaining portion of their bill.
  • Arrearage Assistance - Eligible households that have a past due balance are eligible to receive up to $1,200 in arrearage assistance upon enrollment. Additionally, households may be eligible to receive an additional amount up to $1,200 in year two of WRAP.
  • Conservation Measures - Enrolled households are eligible to receive up to $2,000 in conservations measures, such as a home water audit, minor plumbing repairs, and educational information regarding water usage. With an emphasis on creating a healthy home, households can receive repairs on leaking or nonfunctioning plumbing and other water fixtures to create a safe and livable home. 
  • Other Benefits - Case management empowers WRAP service delivery partners (United Way) to work directly with households in reviewing their progress in making payments. Service delivery partners can also provide the household with access to additional wraparound services.

United Way for Southeastern Michigan – WRAP Services in Oakland County:
Online Application: https://uwsem.smapply.org/prog/utilities
Phone: (248) 983-5656

Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA)
MSHDA's Michigan Homeowner Assistance Fund (MIHAF) helps eligible homeowners who have experienced a financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic with delinquent payments such as: mortgage, HOA fees, property taxes, utilities and home internet. Learn more and apply at www.michigan.gov/mihaf

Those experiencing financial hardship may visit https://findenergy.com/utility-bill-assistance/ to enter their zip code and find government and charity organizations in their area to assist with utility bills.

Free Financial Counseling
The Financial Empowerment Center offers free and confidential financial counseling services to Oakland County residents experiencing financial difficulties. Financial assessments, including budgeting, debt and credit counseling, mortgage foreclosure and delinquent tax assistance, are available to help Oakland County residents and families achieve their financial goals, such as saving for college, a house or retirement. Learn more at https://www.oakgov.com/government/oakland-county-treasurer-s-office/financial-empowerment-center.

Delinquent Water & Sewer Bills

Water & Sewer bills that are not paid by the due date will receive a 1% per month penalty. All bills that remain unpaid for a period of six months as of May 1 shall be added to the next City Tax Roll, with an additional 15% added.