-- documents Feed--
-- All of Bhamgov Feed --

Obituary of George B. Taylor

Print this page
Text resize increase font size decrease font size
Death of George B. Taylor
The Birmingham Eccentric, Nov 8, 1901, 1. (Birmingham, Michigan)
(Transcribed by Donna Casaceli, Birmingham Museum, Birmingham, MI)
Geoge Taylor Obit Enhanced"In spite of our hopes to the contrary we are obliged this week to chronicle the death of our venerable colored friend, George B. Taylor, of whom illness with blood poisoning, mention has been made in the last two issues. “Uncle George” as he was familiarly called, had an interesting and eventful life story, which began with his birth in slavery near Louisville, KY. Just how long his life had been even Uncle George was unable to tell, but it was supposed that he was about 90 years of age at the time of his death. Presumably half of his life was spent in slavery, from which he escaped in 1855 by means of the perilous underground railroad, which opened the door of hope to so many of his oppressed race during those dark days preceding their emancipation. The next two or three years of his freedom was spent in Canada, from whence he came to Michigan, and settled in Southfield about 43 years ago. He lived in this locality ever since, with the exception of 12 years which he spent in Kansas. About 32 years ago, he was married in Southfield to Eliza Stull, who survives him. They had no children of their own but an adopted daughter, Mrs. Joseph Farmer has been has been to them all that an own child could be in their old age and, with her husband, was present during Mr. Taylor’s last sickness to do all that was possible to alleviate his sufferings. Mr. Taylor moved into Birmingham eight years ago, purchased a home, and took considerable pride in being the first colored taxpayer in out Village. Although of such advanced age, he retained his strength in remarkable degree, and it was while he was husking corn that he contracted blood poisoning having previously cut his hand while shaving. An operation was performed in the hope of saving his life, but was unavailing and he passed peacefully away last Sunday evening, just three weeks from the day on which he received the slight injury that resulted in his death. The funeral services were held at the house Tuesday afternoon conducted by Rev. M. R. Maxwell, pastor of the Un P [United Presbyterian] Church, of which Mr. Taylor was a faithful and consistent member, and the remains were interred in Greenwood Cemetery."